Summertime brings about many types of insects, including ticks! These parasitic pests are feared for their ability to transmit Lyme disease to humans and animals alike. Unfortunately, they’re common in El Paso in the warmer months, making it important to know how to prevent these blood-sucking pests on your pets and people. Although cats are rarely affected by ticks, they can be dangerous for your dogs. Thankfully, there are a few things you can do to keep your family safe from ticks. The team at Pest Defense Solutions is here to share their top 5 ways to prevent summer ticks.
Threats of Ticks
There are several concerns when it comes to dealing with ticks. In some pets, ticks have been known to cause anemia. The main danger is, of course, contracting Lyme disease. Cats aren’t as affected as dogs by ticks, but ticks can easily latch onto any pet and bring them inside. Ticks may feed for anywhere from a few hours to a few days, making it important to check your pets every time they’ve been outside.
Dogs can be seriously affected by Lyme disease and will begin to show several symptoms if affected. Always be on the lookout for signs of depression, loss of appetite, fever, lameness, or swollen joints and lymph nodes. If you notice any of these symptoms, immediately take your pet to see a veterinarian.
Tick Prevention Tips
To keep ticks away, it’s important to stay wary of the situations in which they may be encountered in the first place. Some of the things you can do to prevent summer ticks in pets include:
- Investing in tick prevention
- Consider speaking to your veterinarian about tick prevention methods. Some may have suggestions or solutions for keeping your pets safe.
- Keeping a tidy, pest-proof yard
- Mow your lawn regularly and trim bushes or trees on a regular basis. In addition, implement pest exclusion to keep rodents out as they often carry ticks.
- Inspecting pets and family members
- Whenever you take your pets outdoors, make sure to inspect them for ticks. Pay close attention to areas behind the ears, neck, and under the legs. In addition, check your children for ticks after hikes.
- Avoiding areas with tall grass
- Ticks are known to be in areas with high grass or vegetation. Be careful to stay on trails when hiking or walking.
Year-Round Tick Protection
In general, always be careful about ticks in the summertime. They are more common than you think! For more information on keeping ticks away, the pest control experts at Pest Defense Solutions can help.
5 Ways to Prevent Summer Ticks in Pets in El Paso TX
Serving Customers in El Paso TX and Anthony NM