All of the wild animals in El Paso TX can tell when autumn is in the air. Even though our winters are more moderate than most, the wildlife know to take precautions against the less habitable environment that is soon to arrive. Unfortunately for us, this means that mice infestations are imminent. Because mice are so small and sneaky, finding the reason for your infestation can be quite a tough task. If you’re looking to learn more about why mice infest our homes and what you can do to keep them away, read on for a professional perspective from our technicians at Pest Defense Solutions El Paso!
Why Do Mice Like About Our Homes?
Like all wild animals, mice have to put in some extra effort to survive comfortably through the winter. They can usually find everything that they need in our homes with ease, so if they are in your area, you are likely at risk for an infestation. These three things are all that mice are looking for:
- Warmth: Mice do not hibernate, so they have to find a warm place to spend the winter.
- Shelter: Mice are important contributors to their ecosystem—they are preyed upon by what must seem like everyone. Arguably above all, mice need a good place to hide.
- Food: Although mice can go long periods of time with little to no food, they enjoy eating and seek out all kinds of food in our homes, preferably snacks loaded with carbohydrates.
How to Keep Mice Outside
Mice can be one of the hardest pests to control on your own. Their size and stealth make them very hard to remove once they’ve already infested your home. The best DIY mice control program is proper prevention—here are a few ways you can lessen your chances of having a rat infestation this fall:
- Check around your home for any easy access points. You can fix them by adding brush strips to your doors, screens to your vents and windows, and plugs to cracks in your roofing and plumbing.
- Seal and stow away your food properly, and make sure to clean your dishes and spills promptly.
- Keep your grass cut short and limit yard waste. Mice can find food and hiding spots on your lawn.
Want a Head Start on Rodent Control in El Paso TX?
Fall is the perfect time for mice, rats, and more pests to get a head start on finding their place to hide out for the winter. If your rodent issues are already turning your cozy autumn into a verminous nightmare, you can trust the rodent control experts at Pest Defense Solutions El Paso to sort them out. Our rodent removal specialists are equipped with an arsenal of different strategies to be molded to the specifics of your infestation. For a free quote on rodent control, reach out to our team today!