When summer is coming up, we all look forward to spending more time outdoors in the beautiful, warm weather. However, the more time we spend out in the yard or on a walk, the higher our risk of attracting ticks becomes. Ticks thrive in warm, humid weather and in areas where humans and animals are abundant. This ranges from wooded areas to hiking trails, to backyards, and more. The consistently rising temperatures we have experienced over recent years have also allowed for ticks to expand their domain.
If you find yourself dealing with ticks every summer, read on for some tick control advice from the experts at Pest Defense Solutions. We have laid out some advice to help you avoid ticks in your yard and home in El Paso.
Keeping Ticks Out of Your Yard
Ticks thrive in areas that are densely vegetated, lined with healthy trees, or home to many small animals. Any one of these factors could play into a tick infestation in your yard. To keep ticks far away from your home, you can follow these steps:
- Trim your trees: Ticks will take refuge in trees and overgrown plants. If plant life in your yard grows over onto the structures of your house or areas that you frequent, ticks can easily find you.
- Mow the lawn: Ticks also make use of tall grass to hide in, waiting for unsuspecting animals to latch onto. Mowing your lawn once a week will help you avoid ticks.
- Remove piles of debris or yard waste: Any piles of yard waste, old furniture, firewood, or garbage can create hiding places for ticks. Make sure to tidy up often.
- Control any wildlife: Small animals like rats, mice, squirrels, racoons, and more can attract ticks to your yard as other options for hosts to feed on.
Preventing Ticks Inside
Ticks are only able to live indoors for up to a few days in most cases. However, in indoor spaces susceptible to more humidity, such as cabins, bathrooms, and sheds, ticks have an easier time staying alive. Most ticks end up in homes because a person or pet brought them in unknowingly. Here’s how you can prevent this from happening:
- Check your pets: If you have dogs that spend a lot of time outside or go on frequent walks, they could easily bring ticks into your home. Make sure to conduct a tick check when they come inside.
- Limit exposed skin: Ticks like to hang out alongside trails to latch onto passersby. If you’re going on a hike, wearing high socks or long pants will decrease your chances of bringing ticks back home.
- Use bug spray: Any exposed skin can be protected by using bug spray. Those containing 20% DEET work well against ticks.
Tick Control Professionals in El Paso
If you can’t seem to stop the ticks on your property on your own, talk to your local pest control company. At Pest Defense Solutions, we train our tick removal experts to assess each individual property thoroughly and efficiently, determining the sources of any tick outbreak and helping customers avoid them going forward. For a free quote, contact us today!
How to Keep Ticks Away From Your Yard & Home in El Paso TX
Serving Customers in El Paso TX and Anthony NM