Leaks in our plumbing fixtures can lead to more than just defects and damage. The rot and water buildup that leaks cause can create opportunities for lots of different El Paso pests to take refuge inside our walls, cabinets, bathrooms, and more. If you neglect your regular inspections of your pipes for damage or leaks, you could be allowing your home to turn into a safe haven for bugs. To learn what you could expect and how to prevent this, read the Pest Defense Solutions technicians’ advice!
What Pests Do Leaky Pipes Attract?
When leakage from faulty pipes builds up, you might see one of any number of unwanted visitors. However, these three pests are the main ones to worry about in El Paso:
- Ants: If you experience leaks during the summer, you are bound to end up with ant problems. The heat-induced dehydration will drive ants into our homes looking for a constant source of water.
- Cockroaches: Although roaches are arguably the world’s most resilient pests, they can’t go more than a week without a water source. Given that they are nocturnal, they need a dark hiding place during the day, so damp wooden cupboards and walls are the perfect place for them to take refuge.
- Termites: If you thought your leak-induced wood damage was bad, just wait until termites catch wind of it. With a free water source and plenty of wood cellulose to feed on, a leaky plumbing fixture is a termite’s dream come true.
How to Prevent Pest Problems Caused by Leakage
When you discover a leaky pipe in your home, you have to quickly take some preventative measures to stop the site from turning into a pest haven.
- Seal any cracks that you’ve found using a silicone-based caulk. This is the most effective way to stop leakage on your own.
- Make sure that any spaces with leakage are as well-ventilated as they can be. This will help any moisture buildup dry faster.
- Call your local pest control company. A professional pest control technician will be able to take the proper precautions necessary to diminish any current or future pest impact.
Keeping Pests Out in El Paso
If you’re worried that your leaking issue is causing a pest infestation in your home, let your local pest control company know. At Pest Defense Solutions, we train our technicians to assess and handle all sorts of outbreaks, no matter what kind of pest you’re dealing with. We understand that leaky pipes can cause anxiety beyond the threat of pests, so we work our hardest to do our job efficiently and effectively. Contact us today for a free quote!
Leaky Pipes and Thirsty Pests in El Paso TX
Serving Customers in El Paso TX and Anthony NM