How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally?
A quick search will show you tons of tips and tricks that are meant to keep mosquitoes out of your yard. But which natural mosquito repellents actually do the job? We find that these are the best four ways to keep mosquitoes away naturally:
- Covering or pouring out standing water on your property.
- Installing fans in your outdoor areas.
- Wearing pants and long-sleeves in light colors.
- Using aromatic essential oils, like lemon eucalyptus, lavender, and peppermint.
Natural Methods to Repel Mosquitoes
The most reliable way to naturally repel mosquitoes is to limit the things in your outdoor area that could draw them in. This first means covering or eliminating all sources of still water in or around your yard. You’ll most often find standing water in birdbaths, pools, children’s playsets, buckets, and anything else that’s concave. Make routine trips around your yard to look for still water. You can also turn on a fan when you are in your backyard to block mosquitoes with artificial wind.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Mosquito Repellents You Can Make at Home
Essential oils serve many purposes, but can they work as a natural mosquito repellent? Before considering this alternative, make sure to always dilute your mixtures with a carrier oil and perform a skin patch test to ensure that it’s safe. Here are some good things to know about the following homemade mosquito repellents:
- Lemon eucalyptus oil: Both the CDC and the EPA have designated lemon eucalyptus as a natural mosquito repellent. However, it should not be used on or around kids younger than three years old.
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint is a fragrant oil that does a decent job keeping mosquitoes away. Mix it with olive or canola oil for best results.
- Catnip oil: Catnip oil is EPA-approved and can provide up to seven hours of reliable mosquito repellent.
- Lavender oil: Another very fragrant oil, studies have shown that lavender wards off adult mosquitoes and prevents them from biting.
Do Vitamin B and Coconut Oil Repel Mosquitoes?
All research has shown that Vitamin B does not have an effect on mosquitoes, contrary to what some still believe. Similar studies have been conducted on coconut oil. While ineffective by itself, topical applications of coconut oil combined with essential oils might help to prevent mosquito bites. Be sure to ask your doctor before applying any homemade mosquito remedies.
How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally? in El Paso TX
Serving Customers in El Paso TX and Anthony NM