It’s harder than you would imagine to avoid a bed bug infestation. These pests aren’t picky about whose homes they infest. No degree of cleanliness inside your house can prevent a chance encounter with bed bugs while you’re out and about. If bed bugs latch onto your clothes, luggage, or other items that you bring back inside, they can quickly spread to different rooms in your home and remain out of sight. So how are bed bugs so sneaky?
How Do Bed Bugs Spread Around?
It helps that bed bugs are quite small, only reaching about 1/4” at the largest. They can easily hide in all sorts of fabrics and materials, waiting to be transferred from public places to comfortable homes. Some of the common sources of bed bug infestations are:
- Luggage: Many people report bed bug infestations shortly after traveling to a new place. Bed bugs like to latch onto luggage and take a free ride to a new destination.
- Furniture: Bed bugs have plenty of folds and cushions to duck into in furniture. Before bringing a new couch, chair, or mattress into your home, inspect it for any bed bug activity.
- Clothing: In second-hand clothing stores especially, bed bugs have an optimal environment to thrive. One infested article of clothing can quickly lead to many more, so make sure to quickly wash any new clothing you bring home.
How to Stop Bed Bugs from Spreading
Although it can be difficult to avoid a bed bug encounter, there are a few steps that you can take to create a less hospitable bed bug environment in your home. You can:
- Vacuum regularly and keep your possessions organized to avoid excess clutter.
- Put protective covers on your mattress and box spring.
- Inspect your room whenever you travel and try to avoid leaving bags on the floor.
- If you wash your clothes at a laundromat, transport them in a sealable bag.
The basic methods of bed bug avoidance coincide with general cleanliness, meaning that the more precaution against pests and germs you take, the better. However, there is no guaranteed way to avoid bed bugs—sometimes, they just sneak by.
Dealing with a Bed Bug Infestation in El Paso TX
If you wake up with small red bites aligned in zig-zag patterns on your body, it could be too late to prevent a serious bed bug infestation. Don’t rush to throw out your mattress or sheets—call an expert bed bug exterminator instead. All of your belongings can be saved through the process of a professional heat treatment conducted by a licensed pest control technician. For a free quote on bed bug removal services, contact us today!
How Do Bed Bugs Spread? in El Paso TX
Serving Customers in El Paso TX and Anthony NM