Rodents are a common pest problem year-round, but they’re especially troublesome in the fall months here in El Paso. This is because rats and mice begin to come indoors to seek out warmth, shelter, and food. Unfortunately, rodents can squeeze inside easier than you may think. Because rodents can contaminate surfaces, spread germs, and cause structural damage, it’s extremely important to learn how to prevent a rodent infestation this fall. Rodent exclusion is the key to stopping rodents from making their way indoors. The team at Pest Defense Solutions is here to help you learn how to make your property less attractive to rats and mice this fall.
Preventing Fall Rodent Problems
No one wants a rodent problem. Thankfully, there are six main things you can do to keep them away:
- Keep all vegetation trimmed. Tree branches close to the home or vines along the side of your home will invite rodents in.
- Store food properly. Securely store food in tight-fitting containers with lids.
- Seal holes around pipes. Use caulk or wire wool to cover up gaps and openings near pipes and other openings.
- Cover vents. Install mesh screens on your vents. Also, consider installing screens on doors and windows.
- Use tight lids on trash cans. Rodents love to rummage in the garbage! If possible, keep your trash cans sealed and stored.
- Protect eaves. Fix any damaged roofing and use wire mesh to seal gaps in your eaves.
The Dangers of Rats & Mice in the Fall
Rodents are not subtle pests and will quickly make their presence known with rustling noises and gnawing noises. For the most part, rats and mice will take shelter in the attic, basement, and garage. They also will infest kitchens, laundry rooms, and are highly likely to invade your trash cans if given the chance.
Once indoors, rodents can cause a lot of destruction. Their nesting and chewing habits will tear apart materials in your home or ruin wires. They also will contaminate surfaces as they spread potentially dangerous germs and bacteria wherever they go.
Need Fall Rodent Control?
Whether you think you have the beginnings of a rodent problem or you want to avoid one entirely, the team at Pest Defense Solutions can help. Our rodent exterminators will work with you to customize a rodent exclusion plan suited to your needs. Contact us today!
Prevent a Fall Rodent Infestation With These Tips in El Paso TX
Serving Customers in El Paso TX and Anthony NM