As soon as the weather warms up each year, ants start to come out in full force! Each spring here in the El Paso area, rising temperatures encourage worker ants out of their nests in search of food and water for their colony. Oftentimes, they find exactly what they need in your very home! And once you have an infestation, they can be very difficult to get rid of. To prevent ants from infesting your property this year, now is the time for ant-proofing.
Here at Pest Defense Solutions, we’ve gathered the best ant prevention tips to implement into your spring cleaning or home maintenance routine.
Ant-Proofing Your Home in 8 Steps
Ants can be tricky to get rid of, making it important to do everything you can to prevent them in the first place. There are several ant-proofing tips to help lessen the risk of getting an infestation:
- Inspect your property and seal any cracks or crevices using a silicone-based caulk.
- Keep all pet food bowls clean and always clean up after spills and messes. Pick pet bowls up off the floor after meal times.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are all functioning properly so that water is flowing away from the foundation.
- Regularly check under sinks for excess moisture problems and repair leaky pipes promptly.
- Trim trees and shrubbery in your yard to be at least 6 inches away from the foundation of the home.
- Wipe down any countertops and sweep floors regularly to clean up spills and remove crumbs.
- Store dried goods, food, and pet food in airtight containers and refrigerate ripe fruit.
- Take out your garbage on a regular basis and use trash cans with a tight-fitting lid.
How to Get Rid of Ants
Ants are pesky and determined, making it hard to get rid of them when you get them! Colonies can spread quickly and into satellite colonies, which is why controlling them can be a lengthy process. If you have a major ant problem, you’re almost certainly going to need the help of a professional ant exterminator to get it under control. A pest control company has the tools and resources necessary to not only get rid of ants, but keep them from coming back.
Professional Ant Prevention Services
If you’ve done all you can to prevent ants but still deal with them constantly, it’s best to consult the ant exterminators here at Pest Defense Solutions. We know how distressing ant problems are, which is why we’ll work with you to determine how to prevent them all year long. Contact our team today to learn more.
Start Ant-Proofing Your Home Now! in El Paso TX
Serving Customers in El Paso TX and Anthony NM