The kitchen is one of the hardest rooms in the house to protect from pest problems. With opportunities to find food, standing water, moisture, shelter, indoor to outdoor access, and more, it’s no wonder we get so many calls every year to help El Paso residents with their kitchen pest problems.
Are you looking for some strategies to help keep your kitchen clean and pest-free? Look no further! The pest experts at Pest Defense Solutions El Paso have put together their best advice to help you get rid of kitchen pests and keep them away for good!
Why Are There Bugs in the Kitchen?
We know that all kinds of critters set up shop in our kitchens, but why? Sometimes, even if you think you’re doing the best that you can keeping your kitchen neat and tidy, bugs and vermin have access to everything they need and can get to it without you knowing. Here are the three main reasons why pests could be in your kitchen:
- Food: Pests can quickly jump on food that has been left out, spilled, or left unsealed in your cupboards. Mice, rats, and more are even capable of breaking into packaged goods!
- Water: Leaky pipes under cupboards and standing water in the sink can both contribute to a pest problem by giving them a source of hydration.
- Shelter: Spiders love the clutter of our pantries, roaches love the dark and damp environment under our sinks, and rodents love the hidden accessibility of our walls—they could be everywhere!
5 Tips to Keep Pests Out of Your Kitchen
Keeping pests out of the kitchen means getting rid of factors that might attract them. Here are five important ways to reduce the risk of a pest infestation in your kitchen:
- Reduce moisture buildup in the kitchen by sealing any leaking pipes, running your garbage disposal often, and clearing any clogged drains.
- Wash your dishes as soon as you’re done with them and wipe up spills promptly to prevent crumbs and residue from attracting pests.
- Take out the trash often and use sealable lids on your bins.
- Check the expiration date on goods you’re purchasing at the grocery store. Make sure you aren’t letting foods go bad in your pantry or refrigerator, too.
- Make sure there are no gaps around your windows and doors. You can close them with screens and door sweeps.
Need Help with Pest Control in the Kitchen?
Sometimes, trying to deal with pest pressures in the kitchen on your own just isn’t enough. That’s where the experts at Pest Defense Solutions El Paso come in. We are acutely familiar with the way pests operate here in El Paso TX and will develop an overarching pest control plan to figure out why your home or business is infested, rid all pests, and keep them out for good. For a free quote or to hear more about our services, contact our team today!