As soon as the weather warms up each year, ants start to come out in full force! Each spring here in the El Paso area, rising temperatures drive worker ants out of their nests in search of food and water for their colony. It’s often the case that they can find everything they need inside your home, and once they establish themselves inside, they can be very difficult to get rid of. It’s always better to get a head start on ant-proofing before spring is in full swing to avoid the headache of an ant infestation.
Our ant exterminators at Pest Defense Solutions have compiled our best ant prevention tips to implement into your spring cleaning or home maintenance routine.
At-Home Ant Prevention in 8 Steps
Ants can be tricky to get rid of, making it important to do everything you can to prevent them in the first place. These ant-proofing tips can help lessen the risk of getting an infestation:
- Inspect your property and seal any cracks or crevices using a silicone-based caulk.
- Keep all pet food bowls clean and promptly clean up after spills and messes. Pick pet bowls up off the floor after meal times.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are working to divert water away from the foundation.
- Regularly check under sinks for leaky pipes.
- Trim trees and shrubbery in your yard to be at least 6 inches away from your foundation.
- Wipe down all countertops and sweep floors regularly to clean up spills and crumbs.
- Store dried goods, food, and pet food in airtight containers and refrigerate ripe fruit.
- Take out your garbage on a regular basis and use trash cans with a tight-fitting lid.
How to Get Rid of Ants in the House
The problem with ants is that they always seem to find a way back inside! Colonies can spread quickly and form satellites of themselves, which is why controlling them can be a lengthy and frustrating process. If you have a major ant problem, you’re almost certainly going to need the help of a professional ant exterminator to get it under control. A pest control company has the tools and resources necessary to not only get rid of ants, but keep them from coming back.
Prevent Ants with Professional Ant Control
If you’ve done all you can to prevent ants but still deal with them constantly, reach out to the ant exterminators here at Pest Defense Solutions. We know how distressing ant problems are, which is why we’ll work with you to determine how best to prevent them in your home all year long. Contact our team today to learn more and receive a free quote!